Friday, June 23, 2017

Purple Convergence With Orange

A purplely, purplelicious finish and a whole lotta pictures with the fancy camera, because that's all part of the artsy fartsy fun for me! I started this quilt back in December of 2015 after having purchased a Kona Cotton roll up of "Fields Of Iris" in March of the same year. I was inspired by two different quilts, the Fiesta Wall Quilt and the Mosaic Flood. When I started the quilt the center piece wound up being twice as large, much larger than I wanted, so I cut it in half and made a baby sized quilt that was donated to the Bay County, Florida chapter of Project Linus in February 2016--pictures of that quilt are at the bottom of the post. I have to say this quilt, so far, is my personal favorite and is reflective of the style of quilt making I'm most drawn to. My sweet quilty friend Julie did an amazing job with the quilting on her longarm machine incorporating "graffiti" style quilting in the center with wavy and straight lines in the borders. As much as I love, love this quilt I have made it available for purchase, with a requirement that it go to a home where it'll be thoroughly loved, in my Etsy shop, DolceQuilts. 


We've had so much rain here lately that I had to wait a couple 
of days before I could do a proper photo shoot. 
This morning was glorious so I grabbed one of my favorite 
quilt models and off we went to a beautiful nearby park.


Always an adventure...












In case you missed the purple toes...


One of my favorite Ikea fabrics was used to piece a back together...



Model looking away pose...






See the sandy purple toes...



Turns out, she loves it as much as I do!


The toes were totally not planned, by the way...


I almost machine finished the binding, because it took me two months to get the mojo to get to it after it was stitched on, but I'm happy that I took the extra day to finish it by hand. Don't get me wrong, I like machine finished binding and use the method a lot, even on larger quilts sometimes, but I prefer the look of a hand finished binding and really thought this quilt needed the seamless, clean look.




On our way home I couldn't help myself to an "under the bridge" adventure, had Red Hot Chili Peppers playing earlier and well, it was there. Look at the concrete design!






And the baby quilt, modeled by another favorite quilt model...




The Project Linus Ladies, Marianne and Nancy.


Thanks for stopping by and making it all the way down here! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment